The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Vanier Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program accepts PhD programmes (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research. An eligible doctoral program must include a pertinent research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as a requirement for completion of the program.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) as well as clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have significant autonomous research component, as described above.
Number of Available Scholarships
Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually. A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program.
The chosen students will be offered a scholarship until all available funds are exhausted.
To be selected for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program, you must:
• be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Be aware that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
• intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of 1 May 2022
• have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, by 1 May 2022 if:
- enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD. Applicants that fall into this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program; or
- accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (no time spent in a Master’s program); or
- accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
• have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
• must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
For More Related Scholarship? See other scholarships here.