This is to bring to your notice the application window for the Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25 has now been opened for the general public to apply.
Listed below are the key points to be noted about the Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25:
- Funding is full
- All the following courses offered at the host institution in respective departments and faculties are eligible for this scholarship:
- Spectrum of plant sciences, from evolutionary biology to molecular and developmental biology
- International and domestic students are eligible
- All PhD applicants are eligible
The Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25, offered by the Arnold Arboretum, presents an exceptional opportunity for accomplished scientists with a PhD to engage in advanced research in plant science. This prestigious fellowship program leverages the Arboretum’s extensive living collections of woody plants and cutting-edge research facilities. Fellows are encouraged to propose independent research projects that harness the rich botanical resources available. Research conducted spans a wide spectrum of plant sciences, from evolutionary biology to molecular and developmental biology, and encompasses diverse fields like taxonomy, ecology, propagation, and plant-insect interactions.
The Putnam Fellowship Program serves as a catalyst for the utilization of the Arboretum’s living collections in scientific research, fostering their broader engagement within the global scientific community. Notably, past Putnam Fellows have delved into various facets of plant biology, contributing significantly to the advancement of knowledge in their respective fields. This fellowship has served as a launching pad for many scholars who have subsequently become trailblazers in academia and public horticulture. The Arnold Arboretum, with its extensive living collection exceeding 15,000 plants representing over 2,200 species, is a world-renowned resource for woody plant research. Of particular significance is the comprehensive representation of the floras of China, Japan, and Korea, making this fellowship an invaluable opportunity for scholars pursuing pioneering research in plant science.
- The application deadline is January 11, 2024.
The Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25 is a scheme that looks to reward high-achieving internationals, and it is only available for the courses below at the respective faculties:
- Pant sciences, from evolutionary biology to molecular and developmental biology
Students from the following nationalities are eligible:
- All countries
Scholarship Award Benefit
The university will provide all of the following:
- Fully Funded
The Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25 is for masters applicants.
Number of Awards
- Not specified
All applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25:
- Early-Career PhD Holders:
- Applicants should hold a PhD in plant biology, evolution, plant genetics, plant ecology, horticulture, or a related discipline. The fellowship targets early-career individuals with a strong foundation in these fields.
- PhD Requirement at Initiation:
- Candidates must have obtained their PhD before commencing their term at the Arboretum. This ensures that fellows have the necessary academic background to engage in independent research.
- Capability for Original Research:
- Successful applicants should demonstrate the capacity to conduct original, independent research. They should be poised to generate significant contributions to their respective fields and be prepared to publish their findings in peer-reviewed publications.
- Encouraging Diversity in Sciences:
- The program actively seeks applications from individuals who are under-represented in the sciences. This inclusive approach aims to diversify the scholarly community and promote equal opportunities in plant science research.
- Proficiency in English:
- Proficiency in English is essential for effective communication and collaboration within the Arboretum and the broader scientific community.
- Independent Post-Doctoral Position:
- The Putnam Fellowship is an independent post-doctoral position, granting scholars access to shared laboratories, equipment, desk space, and collaborative interactions with fellow scientists, students, and staff.
- Flexibility in Faculty Host Selection:
- Applicants are not required to have a specific faculty host. Instead, they are encouraged to cultivate collaborations and engage closely with various members of the Arboretum and the wider Harvard community to refine and advance their research projects. This flexibility encourages interdisciplinary interactions and innovation in research endeavors.
The following procedure remains the only viable route to apply rightfully:
- Cover Letter:
- Clearly express interest in the program.
- Specify desired term length and potential start date.
- Provide applicant’s contact information.
- Research Statement (4 pages max):
- Describe the proposed research project as a Putnam Fellow.
- Outline the nature and scope of the project.
- Explain the approach and methods to be utilized.
- Detail how the Arnold Arboretum’s living collections will be employed.
- Highlight how the project will advance knowledge in the field of plant biology.
- Include references (not counted in the 4-page limit).
- Research Budget (1-page):
- Provide a budget detailing laboratory and equipment requirements.
- Include an itemized breakdown of annual costs for research, travel, professional expenses, and relocation to Boston.
- Justify the budget to accurately reflect project needs.
- Allocate up to $10,000 annually for research-related expenses.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV):
- Submit a comprehensive CV outlining academic and professional achievements.
- Letters of Recommendation (Three Required):
- Request recommendations through the online submission system.
- Referees will receive an email with submission instructions.
- It is advisable to contact referees beforehand.
- Letters must be uploaded by January 18 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
These application components are crucial for a comprehensive evaluation during the competitive review process for the Putnam Fellowship at the Arnold Arboretum. Applicants are encouraged to ensure each requirement is met with careful attention to detail.
Please click the Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA 2024-25 to begin your application.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are the FAQs that would help you in your scholarship search:
Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship, USA
- Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship is a PhD position for only high-achieving applicants of the scholarship by Harvard University.
What are Tips to Increase My Chances of Getting Selected
- Follow deadlines and give all documentation correctly upon request.
Is this Scholarship for Both Domestic and Foreign Applicants?
- Harvard University Katharine Putnam Fellowship is for International and domestic applicants.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here